Happy Memorial Day!!
I just watched last night’s episode of GIRLS (have you seen it? If not GO WATCH NOW). Parts of it are so absurd but yet they still feel like stories my friends might tell me, while other parts are like the writers reached into my own diary and pulled out random Saturday nights.
What does this have to do with Memorial Day? Absolutely nothing. But it is what it is.
I had to work today (the news knows no holiday) so I celebrated my Memorial Day by the pool yesterday with Stephen King’s book on the assassination of JFK, 11/22/63. It’s been a bit of a challenge to get in to, but now I’m hooked.
In addition to my BBQ chicken sandwich, I made these adorable little apple pies. Because let’s be honest, everything is cuter in the miniature. And nothing says Happy Memorial Day like apple pie.
Mini Apple Pies
(Inspired by AdventuressHeart.com)
1 sheet puff pastry
2 apples, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 c sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Makes 16 mini pies
How – To:
1. For the filling: melt butter in a sauce pan and mix together apples, sugars and cinnamon. Let them cook down a bit – I like my apples to a have a little bite to them but if you like a gooier filling, cook them longer.
2. Dust flour on the counter and roll out the puff pastry. It should be thawed but chilled.
3. Spray your muffin tin with Pam (or off-brand .
4. Depending on what types of shapes you want – cut out your dough to fit your muffin tin. I cut a couple of squares to make little apple pouches, but for the pies, I cut circles.
5. Fill with apple filling.
6. Then just play around with different designs. For some I made little lattice toppers, others I covered and cut slits. Use your imagination!
7. Brush the tops with an egg wash and pop those guys in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 mins.